Tuesday, June 29, 2010

HBO's True Blood: Marketing With Bite

Maybe I was a little too hard on HBO's production of the True Blood series in my last post. They may not be filming on location in Louisiana much, but there are a ton of other things they are doing better than anyone else.


From Book to TV Series: As books are made into movies or TV series, much is lost in the translation. This is not the case with True Blood. The writers have successfully packaged the main plot from the books and have added story lines that fit seamlessly. Characters like Sam, Lafayette, Jason and Tara are pivotal in the series but made very short or only sporadic appearances in the books. True Blood has definitely made these characters much more interesting than they were in print and added others who are entertaining additions to the core of Sookie, Bill and Eric. HBO has successfully taken the Charlain Harris series and improved upon it while still keeping true to the original story lines.

Keeping fans engaged: As I have said many times before, fans want to be immersed into the world of their favorite movies and TV shows. They want to be active participants, and HBO is definitely inviting us into the fictional world of Sookie and her beloved Bon Temps. Usage of social media sites like Twitter and a blog for "Baby Vamp" Jessica Hamby is keeping fans interested in engaged between episodes. Users of Twitter can subscribe to accounts for Eric Northman, Sookie, Pam, Lafayette, Tara and Jessica and interact with the characters concerning the episodes. Responses from Eric and company are written in character of course, making it more entertaining. (now that's a job I would love!) You can also view behind the scenes interviews and extras each week online at HBO.com

Merchandising: Another area HBO has done well in is merchandising. From Soundtracks to t-shirts, shot glasses to True Blood Drinks, True Blood fans can feel like they own a little piece of the fantasy world Charlaine Harris created. I personally giggle to myself when I wear my white Merlotte's Bar and Grill T-shirt (like the waitresses wear in the show) in public. It's so subtle that people's reactions are really funny. Granted, she wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but a girl who knew the HBO series asked me if it was a real place and if I actually worked there. I gave her a big smile, twitched my pony tail and told her I had just gotten of work. Later on, an entire row of concert goers yelled to me "Nice Shirt!" and toasted their beers to me as I made my way to my seat.

Perhaps I am biased because I am a fan, but it's obvious that HBO is backing the amazing writers of True Blood with well-planned marketing and merchandising. Sounds like a killer combination to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment